Top 10 Best Background Check Sites, Companies & Services 2023: There are many background check companies and services available online, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Some popular options include:
- TruthFinder: This website offers detailed background reports that include criminal records, contact information, and social media profiles.
- BeenVerified: This service offers background checks that include criminal records, address history, and contact information.
- Instant Checkmate: This website offers background checks that include criminal records, contact information, and social media profiles.
- Intelius: This service offers background checks that include criminal records, address history, and contact information.
- Backgroundchecks.com: This website offers a variety of background check services, including criminal records, employment verification, and education verification.
It’s important to note that the cost, accuracy, and completeness of the information provided can vary depending on the company or service you choose. Additionally, it’s important to comply with all legal requirements when conducting background checks, such as obtaining the individual’s consent and complying with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Our Top 10 Best Background Check Sites In 2023:
- BeenVerified – Best background check site overall
- CheckPeople – Best for criminal records searches, screening numbers
- TruthFinder – Best for accurate and thorough reports
- InstantCheckmate – Best for a discount trial period, faster, easier process
- Intelius – Best for sleek reporting, great first-month offer
- PeopleFinders – Best for finding people you’re looking for
- US Search – Best for digging up buried info, most search options
- IDTrue – Best for fast results, people search directory
- PeopleLooker – Best for user-friendly, extensive reporting
- PeopleWhiz – Best for in-depth background searches.
1. BeenVerified – Best background check site overall
BeenVerified is a background check website that allows individuals to search for information on a person, such as their criminal records, contact information, and social media profiles. Users can search for information on a person by entering their name and location. The website also offers paid subscription plans that provide access to additional information and features, such as background reports and reverse phone lookups.
It is important to note that the information provided by BeenVerified and other background check websites may not be complete or entirely accurate, and should not be used as the sole basis for making important decisions about a person.
2. CheckPeople – Best for criminal records searches, screening numbers
When searching for information about someone. The site offers a range of services including criminal record searches, background checks, and public records searches. Users can search for information by name, address, phone number, or email address.
The site’s user-friendly interface makes it easy to navigate and find the information you need. You can also save your searches and receive notifications when new information becomes available. The site also offers a wide range of pricing options to fit any budget.
CheckPeople.com also ensures the privacy and security of its users by using advanced encryption and security measures to protect personal information. They also have a strict policy against using the information for illegal or unethical purposes.
Overall, CheckPeople.com is a reliable and cost-effective option for those looking for background information on someone. Its user-friendly interface and wide range of services make it a great choice for anyone looking to find information quickly and easily.
3. TruthFinder – Best for accurate and thorough reports
TruthFinder is a background check website that allows individuals to search for information on a person’s criminal history, social media profiles, contact information, and more. The website claims to provide access to billions of public records, including arrest records, court records, and sex offender registry information. TruthFinder also offers a “Deep Web Scan” which searches for information that may not be available on traditional search engines.
Users can search for information on a person by entering their name, age, and location. The website then generates a report that includes information on the person’s criminal history, social media profiles, contact information, and more. The report also includes a “Reputation Score” which is a numerical rating of a person’s online reputation based on the information found in the report.
TruthFinder also offers a subscription service that allows users to access additional information and features, such as the ability to view a person’s background report history, email alerts for updates to a person’s report, and more.
It is important to note that while TruthFinder may provide access to a large number of public records, the information provided may not be 100% accurate or up-to-date. Additionally, the website’s subscription service can be expensive and should be used with caution.
4. InstantCheckmate – Best for a discount trial period, faster, easier process
InstantCheckmate is a background check site that allows users to search for information on individuals in the United States. The site gathers information from public records, including criminal records, arrest records, and sex offender registry listings. Users can search for information on a person by entering their name, address, or phone number.
The site also offers a premium membership that provides access to additional information, such as social media profiles, financial records, and property records. InstantCheckmate is intended for use by employers, landlords, and individuals who want to learn more about a person’s background.
5. Intelius – Best for sleek reporting, great first-month offer
Intelius is a background check website that provides a variety of services to individuals and businesses. Some of the services offered by Intelius include criminal background checks, property records, and people searches. The website also provides a range of additional services such as email lookup, phone lookup, and address history.
One of the key features of Intelius is its ability to search for individuals using a variety of different criteria, including name, address, phone number, and email address. The website also provides a variety of reports, including criminal records, property records, and address history. Additionally, Intelius offers a range of additional services such as email lookup, phone lookup, and address history.
Overall, Intelius is a popular background check website that provides a wide range of services to individuals and businesses. It is known for its user-friendly interface and the ability to search for individuals using a variety of different criteria. However, it’s important to keep in mind that the information provided by Intelius may not be 100% accurate. It is always recommended to verify the information obtained from background check sites with other sources.
6. PeopleFinders – Best for finding people you’re looking for
PeopleFinders is a website that offers background check services to individuals and businesses. The site allows users to search for information on individuals, such as criminal records, employment history, and contact information. Users can also perform background checks on businesses, including information on company ownership, business licenses, and financial data.
PeopleFinders is one of many background check sites available online, and it is important to research and compare different options before choosing a service. It is also important to note that background check sites may not have access to all information, and the information they provide may not always be accurate or up-to-date.
7. US Search – Best for digging up buried info, most search options
US Search Background Check Sites are online platforms that allow individuals and organizations to conduct background checks on individuals living in the United States. These sites typically provide access to a wide range of information, including criminal records, employment history, education, and more. Some of the most popular US Search Background Check Sites include BeenVerified, Instant Checkmate, TruthFinder, and Intelius.
These sites typically work by gathering information from a variety of sources, such as public records, credit reports, and social media profiles. Users can then search for individuals by name, address, phone number, or other identifying information. The results of the search will typically include a detailed report on the individual, including any criminal records, employment history, education, and more.
While US Search Background Check Sites can be a valuable tool for employers, landlords, and other organizations, it’s important to note that they can also be used to gather information on individuals without their consent. Additionally, the information provided by these sites may not always be accurate or up-to-date. As such, it’s important to use these sites with caution and to verify any information found through them with other sources.
8. IDTrue – Best for fast results, people search directory
IDTrue is a background check website that allows individuals and businesses to access public records and information on individuals. The site offers a variety of services such as criminal background checks, employment verification, and credit reports. IDTrue uses a combination of data from government agencies, public records, and other sources to provide accurate and comprehensive information on individuals.
The site is user-friendly and easy to navigate, allowing users to quickly and easily access the information they need. It also provides a secure platform for users to conduct background checks, ensuring that personal information is protected and kept confidential. Overall, IDTrue is a reliable and efficient background check site that can help businesses and individuals make informed decisions.
9. PeopleLooker – Best for user-friendly, extensive reporting
PeopleLooker is a background check website that allows individuals to search for information about a person’s criminal history, contact information, and more. The site provides access to public records, including criminal records, arrest records, court records, and more. Users can search for information on a person by name, address, phone number, or email address.
PeopleLooker also offers a variety of report options, including a criminal record report, a sex offender report, and a people search report. Additionally, PeopleLooker provides a reverse phone lookup service, which allows users to find information about a phone number’s owner. Overall, PeopleLooker is a useful tool for individuals looking to research the background of a person, whether for personal or professional reasons.
10. PeopleWhiz – Best for in-depth background searches
PeopleWhiz is a company that provides background check services for individuals and businesses. They offer a variety of background check options including criminal records, employment verification, and education verification.
The company uses a variety of sources to gather information and provides detailed reports that can be used for employment screening, tenant screening, or personal reference. PeopleWhiz’s background check services are designed to be fast and accurate, and they offer a user-friendly platform for ordering and accessing background check reports.
What Is a Background Search?
A background search is a process of gathering information about an individual’s personal and professional history, including criminal records, employment history, education, and other relevant information.
This information can be used for a variety of purposes, such as pre-employment screening, tenant screening, and personal research. Background searches can be conducted online or through a private investigator and may include a combination of public records and private information.
How Does a Background Check Work?
A background check is a process used to gather information about an individual’s criminal and personal history. This information is used to verify the individual’s identity and to assess their suitability for a job, rental agreement, or other types of transaction.
There are several different types of background checks, including criminal background checks, credit checks, and employment verification.
Criminal background checks involve searching for any criminal records that an individual may have, including arrests, convictions, and pending charges. This information is typically obtained from government databases, such as the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division.
Credit checks involve reviewing an individual’s credit report and credit score, which provide information about their credit history, including any outstanding debts, payment history, and bankruptcies.
Employment verification checks involve contacting an individual’s previous employers to confirm their employment history, job titles, and dates of employment.
The process of conducting a background check typically involves the following steps:
- Obtaining consent: The individual being checked must provide written consent for the background check to be conducted.
- Gathering information: The background check provider will use the information provided by the individual, such as their name and date of birth, to search government and credit databases for relevant information.
- Verifying information: The background check provider will verify the information gathered to ensure it is accurate and up-to-date.
- Reporting results: The background check provider will compile the results of the check into a report, which will be provided to the requesting party.
It’s important to note that background checks are regulated by federal and state laws, which vary depending on the type of check being conducted and the industry in which it is being used. Additionally, certain types of information, such as credit reports, are protected by consumer privacy laws, and background check providers must follow strict guidelines to ensure they are not in violation of these laws.
Information Included in Different Types of Background Checks
- Criminal Background Check: This type of background check searches for any criminal records, including convictions, arrests, and pending charges. It may also include information about any outstanding warrants.
- Employment Background Check: This type of background check is typically conducted by employers to verify information provided by job applicants. It may include a criminal background check, as well as verification of past employment, education, and professional licenses.
- Credit Background Check: This type of background check looks at an individual’s credit history and credit score. It may include information about outstanding debts, bankruptcies, and any past credit issues.
- Driving Background Check: This type of background check verifies an individual’s driving record, including any traffic violations, accidents, and suspended or revoked licenses.
- Drug Test Background Check: This type of background check involves testing for drugs in an individual’s system, typically conducted by employers as a condition of employment.
- Educational Background Check: This type of background check verifies an individual’s educational history, including the degree and institution attended, and any diplomas or certificates earned.
- Social Media Background Check: This type of background check searches for information about an individual on social media platforms, including their online presence, posts, and interactions.
- Reference Background Check: This type of background check involves interviewing an individual’s references to gain insight into their work ethic, qualifications, and character.
Where Does Background Check Information Come From?
Background check information comes from a variety of sources, including:
- Criminal records: This information is collected by government agencies, such as local police departments, sheriff’s offices, and state courts. It includes information on arrests, charges, and convictions.
- Credit reports: This information is collected by credit reporting agencies, such as Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. It includes information on credit history, payment history, and outstanding debts.
- Employment history: This information is collected by previous employers and may include job titles, dates of employment, and job performance.
- Educational history: This information is collected by schools and universities and may include degree programs, graduation dates, and GPA.
- Reference checks: This information is collected by contacting references provided by the candidate, such as previous supervisors, coworkers, or personal references.
- Public records: This information is collected from public sources, such as property records, court records, and news articles.
- Social media: This information is collected from the candidate’s social media profiles and may include personal information, photos, and posts.
Why Would You Use a Background Check?
A background check is a process of gathering information about an individual’s criminal history, education, employment, and other relevant information. It is used for various reasons, including:
- Employment: Employers use background checks to verify the information provided by job applicants and to ensure they are hiring trustworthy and qualified individuals.
- Tenant screening: Landlords use background checks to evaluate potential tenants and ensure they have a stable income and no history of evictions or criminal activity.
- Volunteer or organizational membership: Non-profit organizations or volunteer groups may use background checks to ensure the safety of their members and the community they serve.
- Personal safety: Individuals may use background checks to research potential romantic partners, roommates, or other individuals they may have a personal relationship.
- Childcare and education: Parents may use background checks to research potential caregivers or teachers for their children.
- Business partnerships: Companies may use background checks to research potential business partners or investors before entering into a partnership or agreement.
How To Choose a Background Check Company?
- Research: Start by researching different background check companies and their services. Look for companies that specialize in the type of background check you need (e.g. criminal, employment, tenant screening, etc.).
- Accreditation: Look for companies that are accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) or other industry organizations. These companies have met certain standards and are committed to providing accurate and fair background checks.
- Services Offered: Consider the services offered by the company. Some companies may only offer basic background checks, while others may offer more comprehensive services such as drug testing, fingerprinting, and credit checks.
- Turnaround Time: Consider the turnaround time for background check results. Some companies may offer same-day or next-day results, while others may take longer.
- Cost: Compare the costs of different background check companies. Keep in mind that the cheapest option may not always be the best option.
- Customer Service: Look for companies that offer good customer service. You should be able to reach a representative easily if you have any questions or concerns.
- Privacy and Security: Make sure the company has strict policies in place to protect your personal information and that they are compliant with laws such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Reviews: Read reviews from previous customers to get an idea of the company’s reputation and the quality of its services.
- Experience: Consider the experience of the company. A company that has been in business for a long time is likely to have more experience and be more reliable.
- Legal Compliance: Choose a background check company that is compliant with all relevant laws and regulations, such as the FCRA, in order to avoid any legal issues.
How Much Do Background Check Services Cost?
The cost of background check services can vary depending on the type of check and the provider. Here are some estimates of typical costs for different types of background checks:
- Basic criminal background check: $10-$50
- Comprehensive criminal background check: $50-$100
- An employment background check (including criminal, credit, and education verification): $50-$150
- Tenant screening (including criminal, credit, and eviction history): $25-$50
- Professional licensure verification: $25-$50
It’s important to note that these prices are approximate and can vary depending on the provider and the specific information requested. Some providers may offer packages that include multiple types of checks at a discounted rate. Additionally, some industries or professions may require specialized background checks that can come with higher costs.
Are Free Background Checks Legit?
It depends on the source of the free background check. Some free background check websites may provide limited or outdated information, while others may be scams or collect personal information for malicious purposes. It is important to research the credibility and reliability of the website or service before using it. It is also important to note that a free background check may not include all of the information that a paid background check would.
What Are The Levels of Background Checks?
- Basic Criminal Record Check: This is a search of criminal records at the local, state, and national levels to check for any past convictions or pending charges.
- Employment Verification: This involves contacting previous employers to verify employment history, job title, and reason for leaving.
- Education Verification: This involves contacting educational institutions to verify degrees, certificates, and dates of attendance.
- Professional License Verification: This involves checking with professional licensing boards to verify that an individual holds a valid license in their field of work.
- Credit Check: This involves a check of an individual’s credit history to assess their financial responsibility and stability.
- Drug Testing: This involves testing for the presence of drugs in an individual’s system.
- Fingerprinting: This involves collecting fingerprints from an individual to check against criminal records.
- Social Media Check: This involves checking an individual’s social media profiles to assess their online behavior and presence.
- Reference Check: This involves contacting individuals who have worked or interacted with the individual in the past to get a sense of their character and work ethic.
- Comprehensive Background Check: This is a combination of all or most of the above checks to provide a complete picture of an individual’s background.
Purchasing a Background Check Service
When purchasing a background check service, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Type of information: Determine what type of information you need to obtain in the background check. Some services may only provide criminal records while others may include information on employment history, education, and financial history.
- Accuracy: Make sure the service you choose is accurate and reliable. Look for a company that is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) or similar organizations.
- Turnaround time: Consider how quickly you need the background check results. Some services may provide results within a few hours while others may take several days.
- Cost: Compare the costs of different background check services and choose one that fits your budget. Keep in mind that cheaper services may not be as accurate or comprehensive as more expensive ones.
- Compliance: Make sure the service you choose is compliant with all state and federal regulations, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Customer service: Look for a company that offers good customer service and is willing to answer any questions you may have about the background check process.
- Reputation: Research the reputation of the company you are considering using. Look for customer reviews and ratings online to ensure they are a reputable and reliable service provider.
How Long Do Background Checks Actually Take
The time it takes for a background check to be completed can vary depending on the type of check being conducted and the resources available to the organization or agency conducting the check. Some basic background checks, such as criminal record checks, can be completed within a few days, while more comprehensive checks, such as credit or employment history checks, can take several weeks or longer.
Factors that can affect the length of time it takes to complete a background check include the complexity of the check, the availability of information, and the workload of the organization or agency conducting the check.
What Things Would Make You Fail a Background Check?
- Criminal convictions or a criminal record: A background check will reveal any past criminal convictions, including felonies and misdemeanors, and may also reveal pending criminal charges.
- Financial issues: A background check may reveal any outstanding debts, bankruptcies, or other financial problems that may indicate a lack of responsibility or financial stability.
- Employment history: A background check may reveal any gaps in employment or inconsistent job history that may raise red flags for potential employers.
- Educational background: A background check may reveal any discrepancies or inaccuracies in your educational history, such as falsifying degrees or certifications.
- Drug or alcohol use: A background check may reveal any past drug or alcohol-related offenses or problems that may indicate a potential risk for employers.
- Social media presence: A background check may reveal any negative or incriminating information that can be found on your social media profiles, such as offensive or discriminatory posts.
- Professional licenses: A background check may reveal any past disciplinary actions or revocation of professional licenses, indicating a lack of professionalism or ethical conduct.
How Often Do Background Checks Fail?
It is difficult to provide an exact percentage of how often background checks fail, as it can vary depending on the type of check being conducted and the source of the information. However, it is estimated that around 5-10% of background checks may contain errors or inaccuracies.
This can be due to a variety of factors, such as incorrect or outdated information, identity theft, or human error. It is important to note that background checks are not foolproof and should not be relied on as the sole determining factor in making hiring or other decisions.
Can You Do a Background Check on Someone You Are Dating?
Yes, you can do a background check on someone you are dating. However, it is important to keep in mind that there are legal and ethical considerations when conducting a background check on someone without their consent. It is also important to note that background checks can only provide information that is publicly available, and may not reveal all information about a person’s past.
It is recommended to have an open and honest conversation with your partner about your concerns before conducting a background check. Additionally, consider hiring a professional background check agency to ensure that the information obtained is accurate and legal.
Overviewing The Background Check Industry
The background check industry is a rapidly growing field that helps employers, landlords, and other organizations verify the information provided by job applicants, tenants, and others. The industry is divided into two main categories: consumer reporting agencies (CRAs) and investigative consumer reporting agencies (ICRAs).
CRAs are companies that collect and provide information about consumers for a variety of purposes, including employment, housing, and credit decisions. They are regulated by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and must adhere to strict guidelines for collecting, maintaining, and reporting information. Some of the most common types of information provided by CRAs include criminal records, credit reports, and employment history.
ICRAs are companies that conduct investigations into consumers’ backgrounds, such as criminal records checks and social media research. They are also regulated by the FCRA and must comply with the same guidelines as CRAs.
The background check industry has seen significant growth in recent years, driven by increased demand from employers and landlords. The industry is expected to continue to grow, as more and more companies turn to background checks as a way to ensure the safety and security of their employees and tenants.
However, the industry also faces criticism for its potential to discriminate against certain groups, such as minorities and those with criminal records. There have been calls for stricter regulations and guidelines to ensure that background checks are used fairly and ethically.
Overall, the background check industry plays an important role in providing employers, landlords, and others with the information they need to make informed decisions. However, it is important to ensure that the industry operates in an ethical and fair manner, to protect the rights of consumers and prevent discrimination.
What To Look for in a Quality Background Check Service?
- Accuracy and thoroughness: A quality background check service should have a rigorous process in place to ensure that the information provided is accurate and complete.
- Compliance with laws and regulations: The service should be compliant with all applicable laws and regulations, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Speed and efficiency: The service should be able to provide results quickly and efficiently, without delays.
- Customizable reports: The service should offer customizable reports that can be tailored to meet the specific needs of the employer or individual requesting the background check.
- Data privacy and security: The service should have strong data privacy and security protocols in place to protect the personal information of the individuals being screened.
- Customer support: The service should have a dedicated customer support team available to answer questions and provide assistance throughout the process.
- Pricing: The service should offer transparent and fair pricing that is consistent with industry standards.
- Reputation: It’s a good idea to read reviews from previous clients of the service and also look for any negative reputation the service may have before deciding to use it.
Our Methodology in Reviewing the Top Background Checks Sites
When reviewing the top background check sites, our methodology includes the following steps:
- Research: We research and gather information on the most popular and reputable background check sites available on the market.
- Criteria selection: We select the most important criteria that are relevant to the user such as cost, accuracy, and turnaround time.
- Testing: We test each site by conducting background checks on different individuals to assess the accuracy and completeness of the information provided.
- Customer service: We evaluate the customer service of each site by contacting their support team to gauge their responsiveness and helpfulness.
- Comparison: We compare the results of our testing and research to determine the top background check sites.
- User feedback: We also take into account user feedback and reviews to understand the experiences of other users.
- Final analysis: We analyze all of the data collected and provide a comprehensive review of the top background check sites, highlighting the pros and cons of each.
- Recommendations: We provide recommendations for the best background check sites based on our findings.
Note: This is a general methodology and the specific steps may vary depending on the requirements and the goals of the review.